KC's Blueridge Tenor Guitar
20 fret - 23" scale
Radius fingerboard to 12"
Medium Guitar fret wire
Simple inlay theme
Install custom pick guard with Fox inlay
These are very nice guitars for the
Lets go ahead and destroy
a part of that beauty TO GET WHAT WE WANT!
Getting ready for heat
Lest hope it is fish glue
or hide glue
The mirror finish is a polyester resin, not lacquer.
Very brittle and hard to
work with, I will do as little damage as I can
Always remember to slice
thru the finish at the board or you will see horrible results, it will pull wood
like a madman.
The only ironing you can
get me to do!
Hell, I thought it was
flat but it has a slight radius.
20 min, getting results
Moving slowing,, only a little wood chipping that I
can hide in new finish
This was a non permeable
tape that inhibited glue from the truss cavity,
Truss works perfectly
because of it.
I will emulate that.
New Split square inlays set "Diamond" style (one added at 19)
Board radiused to 12"-14 " compound , starting refret using
prebent nickle silver fret wire.
Ready to install
Neck cured 1 week
Radius leveled, 12" to 14" on the last 5 frets.
Re- crowned , will finish setup and let it set in a few days
before final fret polishing
Ends dressed, truss set, checking action
Radius on Nut and Saddle 12" - 14"
Board oiled, needs some more
Ready for final steel wool and fret polishing
Plays well up and down the board, the radius is working as it
It seems so far, like the experiment is a success.
Now to rebuild the finish seal from neck to fingerboard
It will be hand work, I do not want to refinish over the
poly resin finish, just reseal the edge.
probably 10 coats with fine sanding in between and a light buff.
Nice inlay from De Paule
Set on the old plastic guard to show where it will live.
Laminating 2- .020" ebony veneers
I use wax paper to keep things from sticking
Traced for the scroll cut
Sanded to 800, ready to rout a cavity
Routed and filled, ready to press
After press, pull the wax paper again.
Cleaned and smooth, ready for finish
After a couple of coats I set it down onto the body for a look.
I will do 6 more coats, buff and attach it to the body.
Decided I couldn't live with all of the tiny little dings in the
finish on the neck so I went commando on it.
Pulled hardware, scuffed, and began new clear coats and wet
sanding until its back right.
About 2-3 coats a day in this weather is possible, it will not
Neck finish completed and hand buffed for now.
Will hit it on the machine buff in 2 days.
All body buffed and waxed
Pick Guard is complted and ready to wet sand/ buff and install
with contact cement.
Guard is attached, Strap button reattached she will be
ready after a final neck buff.
Strung up on GHS 30-24-14-10 Bronze.
Nice tone, easy to play.
We will let "The Maestro" down in Boerne play it out for KC and
see if it passes muster.
Even with the fact that we did little or nothing that we
intended to do, it has still been a fun and challenging project.
I'm hoping it makes KC use it a little more oft which was the
crux of the original plan.
I will add a few more pics on my white background after final
Thanks for watching,