19 fret custom banjo
Yet another Barry / Vinnie project
Banjo as it was when Dave owned it.
We got it with no neck, and the sidewall still white
He did a great job, installing it.
Now, to create another crazy tenor banjo for my even crazier friend Barry Grant.(On the Stromberg)
Dave had gotten this very late model Vox, and had a nice rim made
for it at First quality, and then he stuck a NOS Vega Ultravox 5 side binding
on, just like the other one we put on BG's other Vox 3, which has a Riverboat
scene on the back, and I painted up the side bindings to give it flash
for his casino playouts.
Here I am trying to burn the fingebaord off of Tylers old Vox 3 neck, since he got another one while he was here.
This one is ripped down for the addtion of a truss bar, and a new style of fingeboard and inlays.
This means some of my shabby work ethics will have to be discared, and I will have to actuall pay attention to details....
Starting to give way
This is as far as I can get it up, and I have hit a snag.Glue will not release, no matter how hot it gets
So it will come off in pieces, not one piece.
I did manage to save all but one of the old inlays, and that one was no good anyway.
I had refretted this neck last year for Tyler, and it was tuff getting te board off I think, from the superglue used during the refret.
All of the hardware ,and the engraved flanges has been sent off to be replated, at BGPS, so I will continue on with the neckwork for now.
Now I will start the detail painting, and after that, it will all be coated in clear.
The transparent tinted lacquer, was thin enough to not hide the detail line on this one, which in the end, should look very nice.
Here, I am injecting a small amount of glue, under some veneer on the edge, that has a little bubble in it.
I will press it flat until the glue kicks.
I have begun the detail painting, and will do all of the leaves first.
That green s a little darker, than the pic shows
Adding a second coat, before I move to another color
Here we are, a little further along
Coming on around the horn
This is how it looks with the lights out.
My "Special" paints are cool huh?
Here I have removed the dowelstick, since this neck wll be on Co rods from here on out, and I have placed it on my "wall of fame"
#99307 shall live in infamy
Resonator detail completed (whew), and first coats of clear going on.
Alright, it is time to stiffen up the "spine" on this baby.
This neck is good and flat, but soft, so I will add a little "rebar", to make sure it stays this way, to the tune of a 3/16" square bar stock, and a cover stick.
Here is my hoding device, and a "buck" to go under the neck.
I have lightly super glued to guide sticks, so i can rout out he channel for the rod.
Checking once more, for proper clearances
Clamped to rout.
I will do the clamped area last
Routing with a carbide router bit, that cus flat on the bottomside.
I am reducing in 1/32 increments
Finishing the other end, by reversing the clamping area
Clean channel, no probs.
Checking the fit of the rod......
........Then the cover stick
Glue in under the rod, and then on the top
Cover stick tapped into place
And clamped for 12 hrs, under light heat.
She should be steady after this operation, for years to come.
As you can see, my pal can hang in there with the best of the best of the engravers of old.
And we even got ol Barry's name in lights, at the 15th, where it should be.
This was my buddys idea, not mine!
B.Grant already has an ego so big, that it needs no "fueling" !!
Well cut to the chase.........
Shes all glued and clamped, so lets all sit and watch it dry.
Gotta deadline to meet!
Now we know where this neck came from.
Dad gum you Barry!
Now, its starting to look like it is alive once more.
We will get down to the side markers, and frets now.
I am still comtemplating the choice of finish for it.
OK,I got the stain I wanted, which is a medium brown center, with some dark walnut edges
I even put the VEGA RACOON effect, around the peghead!
Now for a few dots.
Adding in the side marker pearl dots
I stripped the fqms rim, and dyed it to a closer match.
Pressing in the fret wires
All wire in, ends finished, and I will check level after it is installed on the rim.
The plating and engraved flanges have returned, and rim assembly begins. and I must say that Steve Caddick KNOWS what he is doing, as the gravings are sharp as a tack, and just a welcome addition, to this project.
If you missed the engraving process, view it here.
Flanges were precisely cut, and fit well.
Typical troublesome late model tension bolts, as always, screwy thread, but I did'nt break any!
gettin better eh BG?
Just a look with the TP and Armrest sitting on it, and the Winged
Beauty, that I may "Mount" in the center
When I take outside pics, the gravings will be more visible.
Now, to get the coordinator rods figured out, and the neck will be going on real soon.
It is starting to excite me finally !
Heel lags are set in.
I will be using the Vox coordinator rods
Just a tiny bit of leveling was needed, a good sign.
..And I decided to go with the Klusons.
8:1 is hard to pass up.
Looks more correct as well
All attached very well, with neck set darn near perfect.
Thats just good luck, to get it on the first try.
Tried the 1/2" Farquhar...too low, and I am out of 9/16", so you can get one at the show.
I have an Emerson Power Bridge on it, with perfect action for BG!
I think it may be the loudest Vox I have ever heard!
Neck is arrow straight now.
Well, at least he is smiling (wierd for a banjo player)
Maybe he will find it playable, besides looking snappy!
Since this pic was taken, she has been out on the Riverboat
circuit, and BG finds it to be a good player, albeit a tad heavier than
his other RiverVox, but he says it did just fine.
Darned good way to end up, after this kind of a run!
Home Tenor Banjos Plectrum Banjos 5 string banjos 6 string and other Tenor Guitars Banjo ukes Banjolins Restorations